Huh..who...?

Yesterday, Sarah came home in the spluttering rain and announced that Donna was coming round later. Huh?? Donna....
a colleague from work maybe or a relative that I don't know/forgotten about perhaps? This is more than possible as they seem to pop in and out of our universe unannounced so maybe...
No.
Donna is yet ANOTHER cyclone! evidently a beeeg one at that. So. This evening I am listening to the wind trying to lift up the roof and throw cars around in the street..........nah not really quite that dramatic.. It is raining and blowing pretty hard but probably won't amount to much. By the time that tropical cyclones get to us down here they seem to have dissipated somewhat. Having said that, I had to take my son to school yesterday on my golf-cart. When I started to come back home the rain came down and although I have a heavy-weather rain jacket with a serious hood, after 20m I had to stop as the rain was horizontal and I couldn't see anymore.
When I thought about getting a mobility scooter a few years back, I picked my current ride as it has a powerful motor and doesn't qualify as a mobility vehicle (what me need a mobility scooter?...nah not me!) It's a golf-cart NOT A MOBILITY SCOOTER! But the benefits that come with having a 'golf-cart' fade away rapidly when faced with things like - protection from the weather and actual size. It is an incredibly powerful machine and handles hills with ease, and we have a few hills here in Wellington.. Unfortunately it is fairly spartan in design and resembles a Lunar rover with zero protection from the elements. So effecting some form of weather protection is an ongoing challenge. It has a wider foot-print than a true mobility scooter and a very wide turning circle. In the beginning I was hugely bothered by this and refused to go anywhere that involved sharp turns. If I want to go round a street corner I must either go in the road or back-up and go forward slowly. Supermarkets are a no-go, totally..

Over the last 3 weeks, my family has been struck down with a flu 'bug' that has affected all 3 of us differently - my son recovered quickest although a cough persists. Sarah has had to go to work early each morning braving the elements and she still has the remnants of this flu. I get smacked sideways by anything that affects my immune system and while I feel great-ish this week, My mobility is seriously messed-up. I have noticed that while I exercise regularly when I am not 'sick', a break of a few weeks not exercising really buggers me up and the first thing to be affected is my mobility. I have started exercising again but it's going to take a while to reset my mobility back to its 'normal' way-of-being. I do a mixture of yoga/pilates and some weight training and I am really chuffed with my upper body strength but I have to take it easy with whatever I do that involves my legs especially so at the moment.

Cheers! Tony K



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To the ends of the Earth..

Thaw, the god of defrosting.....

All quiet, kind of.....